The article deals with modeling the spatial-angular distribution of luminance (SADL) in lighting scenes based on the solution of the global lighting equation by local estimates of the Monte Carlo method. Based on the SADL, a new criterion for lighting quality is formulated, which, in contrast to the generally accepted UGR to date, does not take into account the point glare sources, but directly the continuous distribution of luminance. The proposed criterion is applied in the analysis of lighting at some stations of the Moscow metro, which shows its correlation with the feelings of real observers.
spatial-angular distribution of luminance, quality of illumination, global illumination
1. Ferree, C. Rand, G. A Preliminary Study of the Deficiencies of the Method of Flicker for the Photometry of Lights of Different Color // Psychological Review, 1915. – V.22, № 2. – pp. 110-162.
2. Kajiya, J.T. The rendering equation // Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH’86), 1986. V.20, N4. pp.143-150.
3. Budak V. Relation of instant radiosity method with local estimations of Monte Carlo method / V. Budak , V. Zheltov, R. Notfulin, V Chembaev V. // Journal of WSCG, 2016. - pp. 189–196
4. Keller, A. Instant radiosity // SIGGRAPH '97 Proceedings of the 24th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques. - pp. 49-56.
5. Marchuk, G. I. Metod Monte-Karlo v atmosfernoj optike // Novosibirsk, Nauka, 1976. - pp. 283.
6. Scheir, G. H. Calculation of the Unified Glare Rating based on luminance maps for uniform and non-uniform light sources / G. H. Scheir, P. Hanselaer, P. Bracke, G. Deconinck and W. R. Ryckaert // Building and Environment, 2015. - № 84. - pp. 60-67.
7. Budak, V.P. Fast and accurate algorithm for the numerical simulation of radiative transfer in turbid media / V.P. Budak, V.S. Zheltov, A.V. Lubenchenko, K.S. Freidlin, O.V. Shagalov // Optikaatmosferyiokeana, 2016. - Vol. 26. - pp. 127-134.
8. Budak, V.P. Evaluation of illumination quality based on spatial-angular luminance distribution / V.P. Budak, V.S. Zheltov, T.V. Meshkova, R.Sh. Notfullin // Light & Engineering, 2017. - T 25, № 4. - pp. 24-31.
9. Budak, V.P. ChembaevExperemental study of the new criterion of lighting quality based on analysis of luminance distribution at Moscow metro stations / Vladimir P. Budak, V.S. Zheltov, T.V. Meshkova// Light & Engineering, 2020. - Vol. 28, №. 3.- pp. 98–105.
10. Richard, H. Blackwell Contrast Thresholds of the Human Eye // Josa, 1946. - Volume 36, Number 11. - pp. 624-643.